WOMADelaide and WOMAD NZ
Since 2006, Canopy has assessed the carbon emissions from the WOMADelaide festival. See the video showing how Greening Australia has planted trees to offset WOMADelaide's emissions near Langhorne Creek in South Australia.
Since 2012 we have also been measuring and offsetting the emissions from WOMAD New Zealand.. We'll be planting natives along stream banks as part of the process.
The emissions sources we analyse are:
- Air travel for artists
- Transport and accommodation including:
- Artist transfers, taxis and shuttle buses
- Artist road travel from SA and interstate
- Artist accommodation
- Staging materials from SA and interstate
- Travel to site for security and WOMAD staff
- Stallholder road travel from SA and interstate
- Onsite cranes, forklifts, golf buggies, cars
- Paper, plastic and other consumables
As WOMADelaide says, “We are all responsible for contributing to the global warming problem, and you too can play a role in the solution … offset some or all of the carbon dioxide produced by you or your organisation…” See how Greening Australia has planted trees to offset the emissions near Langhorne Creek in the Coorong and Lower Lakes region of South Australia.